Know Your Car Accident Insurance Coverage - New Hampshire

Serving New Hampshire & Vermont including Concord, Manchester & Nashua

When you purchased your car insurance, you probably thought you wouldn’t really need all that coverage. It is easy to have the mentality that a car accident won’t happen to you. You might think that crashes happen to the “other guy,” the one you read about in the newspaper.

The unfortunate truth is that you have to be prepared for the possibility of an auto accident in New Hampshire. Accidents do happen. The last thing you want is to be caught off guard.

There are some important types of insurance coverage, which we explain below. Keep in mind that this information should also be discussed with your insurance agent.

  1. Liability coverage. If you are at fault for the accident, this coverage will pay for the damage that others have sustained as a result. It does not pay for the damage done to your vehicle.
  2. Collision and comprehensive coverage. If you have an auto loan, this coverage might be required. It pays for vehicle damage from a collision or other event that results in loss or damage.
  3. Medical payments. Under New Hampshire motor vehicle laws, you do not have to carry auto insurance. However, if you do purchase insurance in our state, you must also buy medical payments coverage. This coverage pays for a portion of medical expenses for you and the passengers who were in your vehicle.
  4. Uninsured motorists. This coverage must also be purchased if you decide to obtain auto insurance. It is designed to cover your damages resulting from an accident with an uninsured driver or in the situation of a “hit and run.”

If you have been hurt in a car accident in New Hampshire or Vermont, we may be able to help. Contact an experienced Orford attorney at the Law Offices of Van Dorn & Curtiss today by calling (866) 933-6115 or completing our online form. We represent clients in Concord, Nashua Manchester, Orford, and other local communities, and we are more than equipped to help you with your injury claim.