Vermont Acts to Make Drug Makers' Gifts Public

Legislators in Vermont just passed a bill that would make it illegal for pharmaceutical companies to give “meals, gifts, and other relationships” to doctors in exchange for brand loyalty. An article in the New York Times states, “the new law would let Vermonters learn each year which doctors have been paid, and how much, by the makers of brand-name drugs from which they wrote prescriptions.”

Meant to discourage the influence of marketing efforts on doctors, the bill asserts, that the company’s drug is used more often than a competitor’s even when evidence indicates that another drug would be more beneficial, less expensive and safer.

The top 100 recipients received on average $17,700 each but that only counted 17% of the gifts because the other 83% was hidden from public view by a trade secret exemption in state law. Some doctors received over $100,000 dollars in gifts. How could that not influence their practice?

When you are ill and must see a doctor, it is a team effort between your medical professionals and yourself. If something doesn’t sound right to you, speak up, ask questions, and get clarification. It is your right to understand what the doctor is prescribing to you whether it is a drug or a course of action. Mistakes can lead to wrongful death.

If you want aggressive and expert pursuit of your medical malpractice claim and full recovery of all damages you are owed due to the negligence of a doctor or healthcare professional, call Van Dorn & Curtiss at (603) 556-4148 for a consultation. Trust the lawyers other lawyers trust, and call Van Dorn & Curtiss today.

Categories:

We Provide Real Solutions To Your Complex Legal Issues

Backed by over a decade of collective experience, our seasoned attorneys can navigate personal injury victims through multiple legal matters.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Request a Free Consultation