Five Things That Will Help Your Vermont Car Accident Case
The tires have stopped screeching, the car has come to a halt and the glass has settled. You ask yourself – what just happened? You have just been in an accident.
A Vermont car accident can happen in a moment, but the repercussions can be life altering. If you have been injured in an auto accident, whether in Vermont or New Hampshire, you could be entitled to compensation. However, you need to be aware that there are things you can do that will improve your chances of recovering a fair amount of money for your injuries.
The Vermont car accident attorneys at the Law Offices of Van Dorn, Curtiss & Rousseau, PLLC have seen countless accident victims who have been taken advantage of by insurance companies. As a result, we have compiled a list of the top five things that will help you receive the compensation you deserve.
1. Get help. You need to call the police after your crash and the request the paramedics, if there have been any injuries. Sometimes it is difficult to assess the extent of injuries you or the other people involved in the accident may have suffered, which is why calling for help is a good idea.
2. Collect as much information as you can. Request the name, address, telephone number and insurance information from the other driver. Be sure to write down the license plate number, as well. If there were any witnesses, you should get their contact information, just in case.
3. Snaps some pictures. Most cell phones have the capability to take pictures. Get as many photos as you can of the location of the crash, the damage and even of your injuries. Once the crash scene has been cleared, it will be hard to get all of that evidence.
4. Go see a doctor. An auto accident can be overwhelming and occasionally you don’t realize that you suffered injuries, until later. Make sure a medical professional checks you out, especially if you start experiencing strange symptoms following the collision.
5. Call a Vermont car accident lawyer. Not every auto accident requires the expertise of an accident lawyer, but when serious injuries are involved, it is a good idea to consult with someone who knows the law. Contact us today at (603) 556-4148 for advice regarding your case. We represent clients in Western New Hampshire and Eastern Vermont.
To read about what you should NOT do following a car accident, read our article, Don’t Hurt Your New Hampshire Car Accident Claim – 5 Actions to Avoid, which applies not only to accidents in New Hampshire, but also Vermont.