Don't Hurt Your New Hampshire Car Accident Claim - 5 Actions to Avoid
We learn a lot at school – arithmetic, biology, history, to name a few of the subjects. What we are not taught at school is what to do after a New Hampshire car accident. After all, why would this topic be a part of the lesson plan? It is an event that very few of us have to face on a regular basis.
After a serious collision you are faced with mounting medical bills, lost income and an insurance adjuster who keeps calling. How are you supposed to know what to do? It is important for you to understand that there are things you can do that will actually hurt your chances of collecting on your injury claim.
Below is a list of five actions you need to avoid if you want to obtain fair compensation for your New Hampshire auto accident claim:
1. Accepting blame for the accident. There is a lot of confusion after an injury accident. You may not know all of the details involved in the crash, so avoid saying that you were to blame. Admitting fault is a sure way to hurt your chances of collecting compensation.
2. Not getting medical attention. How can you prove the seriousness of your injuries if you don’t get the proper medical care? There will be some major questions regarding the extent of your injuries and you need to follow through with your medical treatment.
3. Signing papers from the insurance company. The insurance adjuster may start calling you right after the accident, which can present a problem. Some injuries do not surface immediately. Don’t sign anything, including a statement, without first talking with a New Hampshire personal injury attorney.
4. Going on record. Do not give a recorded statement to the insurance adjuster. You may be told that it will help speed up the process or that your recorded statement is necessary for you to receive compensation. If you end up saying something you didn’t mean, it is nearly impossible to retract it.
5. Waiting to contact a New Hampshire car accident attorney. Not every crash requires an attorney, but when injuries are involved, you can greatly benefit from working with someone who knows the law and your rights.
If you or a loved on has been injured in a car accident in Western New Hampshire or Eastern Vermont, contact the law firm of Van Dorn & Curtiss at (603) 556-4148. Our New Hampshire accident attorneys will help you recover the compensation you deserve.