Three Easy ways to Prevent Causing a Car Accident
Nobody wants to cause a car accident, yet very few of us truly stop to think about the dangers our actions can put ourselves and others into. As such, the easiest way to prevent causing a car accident is to pay attention. But what does paying attention look like?
- Avoiding distraction such as cellphones and other electronics
- Keeping your eyes on the road at all times
- Remaining aware of everyone with whom you are sharing the road
These steps alone can help you avoid an accident and keep you and those in your vehicle safer.
The second easiest way to prevent causing an accident is to never drive while intoxicated. This includes alcohol along with prescription, over-the-counter, and illicit drugs that can impair your ability to operate a vehicle. And remember, sleep deprivation has an effect similar to that of driving under the influence and should be avoided as well.
The third easy way to prevent causing a car accident is to drive courteously. This means:
- Allowing a 1-2 car gap between yourself and those in front of you
- Obeying all traffic signs and signals
- Using your turn signals
- Adjusting for inclement weather